A Time of Discovery at Discovery Communications

Carly at Discovery Communications

By Dean’s Intern Carly Ferreira at Discovery

It was orientation day, and I had no idea what to expect. How many other interns would be working at Discovery this summer? Would I be working with another intern on projects? What was the company culture like? I walked into orientation nervous and anxious, but by the end of the day, I felt at home.

Everyone was so nice and welcoming and I could tell that even though there are 85 interns in the program (just in the Silver Spring office alone), Discovery employees truly wanted to get to know who I am and what I am passionate about. Not to mention we got really awesome shark week themed t-shirts by the end of the day, which I have already gotten great use out of.

As the week progressed, the other intern and I (we are on the same team) worked on a project for TLC, which was really awesome! We were also both happy with the final deck and were pleased that we had such a great first project when it was only week one.

Besides getting used to the workflow, I have also been learning more about corporate culture. I recently attended a meeting with the CCO of the company, which was a great experience, and have already attended several Discovery events, which have gotten me more acquainted to the company’s culture.

For example, one of my favorite events so far, was Discovery’s Innovation Awards, which showcased top projects and work throughout the year. I was truly blown away by the talented individuals at the company both domestically and internationally and felt honored to be working for such an amazing company. I am extremely excited to continue my internship and cannot wait to see what else is in store for me this summer. Shark Week here I come!