Visual Storytelling at USA TODAY

Taking a selfie at USA TODAY during a lunch break

By Dean’s Intern Berna Elibuyuk at USA TODAY

Walking in on my first day at USA TODAY I was hesitant just as any new intern would be. I was ecstatic to have been given the opportunity to work alongside the design team at a place where breaking news and stories are constantly being told every minute of the day. I was given a wonderfully warm welcome by my supervisor and everyone on the design team and, later on, given a tour of where I would be working for the next couple of months. It is truly amazing to see what goes on behind the scenes at such a fast paced environment. I never realized how much creative work goes into USA TODAY’s newspaper and website on a daily basis. From info graphics for print and web, to interactive media on the web and for mobile, USA TODAY’s design team is on top of their creative game!

I attended my very first design meeting that day, and I thought to myself, “how can it get any better than this?!” Brainstorming and sketching out ideas for breaking stories, dailies, and more long term projects, were all placed on the table

Super excited about my internship!

Super excited about my internship!

for everyone to contribute to. Even though it was my first day, it felt as if I had been there for years! The friendly atmosphere and the creative thinking process of the entire USA TODAY design team felt so overwhelmingly up lifting. Fast forward from the start of my internship to now, I have already worked on five stories and gotten my first bylines for my graphics work in the paper and on the web. I just recently finished working on an animation that will be placed on the USA TODAY website and on their various social

platforms. I am constantly learning something new everyday and I am in love with the process. I go into work every morning knowing that I will be working with a great team to produce visually stimulating content that is geared to a broader audience. I feel so grateful to be able to work alongside such a wonderful team that is made up of those who are innovative in their thought process, creative, and so passionate about the work that they do. I can surely say that this is only the start of an amazing new journey!

USA TODAY Newsroom

USA TODAY Newsroom