Hitting the Ground Running at Discovery

Bergmann, Charlotte at Discovery

By Dean’s Intern Charlotte Bergmann at Discovery Communications

Hi! My name is Charlotte Bergmann and I am a Corporate Communications Intern at Discovery Communications this semester. From when I started two weeks ago to now, I can assure you there has been no shortage of activity, excitement, and learning opportunities here in Silver Spring.

One of the coolest things I have been able to work on so far is helping with media outreach (drafting media advisories, compiling media lists) for TLC’s Say Yes to the Prom initiative. Now in its fifth year, this national program helps deserving high school students have the prom of their dreams without having to worry about the cost.

This has been a great opportunity for me to take what I have learned in class about CSR and PR writing and apply it in a professional setting. Being an AU student, I feel so lucky that the classes I have taken in SOC have done an amazing job in preparing me for my internship and for what lies ahead in my professional career.

While I am in the office, I get to observe and absorb through team meetings and networking with the other interns and staff in the office. Discovery is also never afraid to unleash its creative and fun side – the other interns and I were able to help with an in-office event for Puppy Bowl and got to play with some adorable puppies as a result. “Ruff” life!