Bringing Science to Life at Smithsonian

Lawrence, Shannon Action Photo

Shannon Lawrence testing audio equipment on a video shoot for Smithsonian Science How

By Dean’s Intern Shannon Lawrence at Smithsonian

Hello! My name is Shannon Lawrence and I am a video production intern in the Education and Outreach department at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.

Since starting my internship in January, I have had the pleasure of being a part of the production process of the Smithsonian webcast, Smithsonian Science How. I have helped film promotional segments for the webcast and have assisted in the live production of the monthly educational webcast. It is amazing how fast-paced a live production environment is!

In addition to my work on the webcast, I have had the privilege to go behind-the-scenes at the museum to view some of the fascinating work and incredible artifacts that are part of the Smithsonian Natural History Museum collection. I have seen dinosaur skeletons, learned about the work of microfossils by paleontologists, and have seen a sneak peek of a new exhibit opening at the Smithsonian!

I am looking forward to continuing my work at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History over the next few months. I am gaining a lot of knowledge about both the film production process and it is a pleasure working in such an exciting environment!