Just Another Day at Discovery

Day 1 as a Discovery INtern with Dean’s Intern Carson Creehan

By Dean’s Intern Alexia Nal at Discovery Communications

I’m already half way through my internship and I can hardly believe it. These past few weeks have flown by way too fast.

As I reflect on my time here, I cannot help but think about the great lessons I have learned from my internship at TLC. One of the biggest lessons I have learned at Discovery is there is no such thing as an average day in the office, especially in the TLC publicity department. Everyday that I show up for my internship, I am never sure of what I should expect. My tasks vary from pulling clips from airing television shows to compiling press hits, to many other tasks. I love being able to watch my beginner skills I was developing in the classrooms of AU, blossom into stronger professional skills throughout my internship.

The two shows I have been given the opportunity to put my hands on are My Big Fat Fabulous Life and Counting On. Because it’s television and people are so attracted to the curiosity TLC stimulates, everything is extremely fast paced. It is important for me as an intern to stay organized, on task and focused. Often times my manager will throw tasks at me, but then the VP of Publicity of TLC will contact me and request me to assist her with creating a press release for bringing back my childhood favorite television show Trading Spaces. It has been the internship of a lifetime being able to work for a well-respected brand and enhance my PR skills. I am excited to see where my experience at TLC takes me!