From Main Street to Wall Street: My Time at the Fox Business Network

By Dean’s Intern Olivia Tinari at Fox Business Network

Olivia TinariThis summer, I was honored to work as an Assignment Desk College Associate (Intern) with the Fox Business Network. The Fox Business Network (FBN) is a financial news channel delivering real-time information across all platforms that impact both Main Street and Wall Street.

Over the course of the internship, I have had the opportunity to dive deep into the business broadcast industry and gain practical experience while interning for one of the largest media and entertainment companies in the world. Notably, I was able to participate in real-world projects. This allowed me to gain valuable work experience and attain new leadership skills. With the internship being remote, I was able to work with both the New York and Washington DC Bureaus to observe all of the moving parts behind the network. As a business minor, I was also able to bring the business knowledge that I have learned at American University to work on eventual aired topics and programming. I actually pitched and wrote some captivating news stories on a variety of business topics. On the production side, I was able to cut, edit, and plug-in video elements in the iNews rundown using Dalet. I assisted reporters, producers and editors on news and editorial decisions. The most interesting part of the program was being able to shadow different editors, producers and reporters on assignment. This gave me the best vision of what it is really like to work at a major news agency.

Importantly, I eventually understood that the assignment desk is the center of the newsroom, always carrying the weight of the remainder of the agency “on its shoulders.” The assignment editors are the individuals responsible for finding and organizing the news of the day, while always staying on top of breaking stories while anticipating the ever changing story lines.

The FOX internship program as a whole focused on a variety of professional development opportunities. FOX presented a diversity of panels, discussions, presentations, networking events and training that were geared to advancing my knowledge of the industry.

With my internship coming to an end, my experience has been nothing short of enriching and a truly once in a lifetime opportunity. I am looking forward to applying the knowledge that I gained at the Fox Business Network to my future studies and experiences in the broadcast news industry.

Here is a sample of one of my stories that went on air that I pitched and helped research:

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6266531128001#sp=show-clips