A Front Row Seat into Documentary Production

By Dean’s Intern Kelly Vaughen at Voice of America

My time as an intern at Voice of America has been rewarding in so many ways. I was hired as a production intern in the documentary unit. I work with acclaimed producers, and have a front row seat to the process of making a documentary from start to finish.

The film is about the terrorist organization, Boko Haram, and the impact they have had throughout Nigeria. Working on a film with such an important message was inspiring and daunting. I was involved with research, finding interviews, and the coordination of producing a film in the United States, which is being shot in Nigeria.

Not only was I able to help with the film, I was also able to work with the VOA investigative unit. I helped with research on multiple projects, and learned tips and tricks of investigative reporting from seasoned professionals.

One of the most rewarding aspects of my internships came from just being in the massive establishment that is Voice of America. The main news room has reporters covering every beat you can think of, in every different medium. Not only are there professionals around every corner, the entire newsroom is so willing to share their knowledge. It truly amazed me how everyone at VOA was invested in my success and so willing to help.

I wish I could stay on through for the final production of the film, but cannot wait to see it, and take pride in my contribution.