Show Business and Advertisers

By Dean’s Intern Lauren Neville at National Geographic

Working in the National Geographic Channel Ad/Sales department makes you feel like you are right in the middle of the industry. I work for the Ad Sales Creative and Cause Marketing department. Partnering with others in editing rooms, writing scripts, and looking at footage to find the perfect scene for a promo are only some of the exciting things I do here.

National Geographic Channel Intern, Lauren Neville watches her show promotion for Access 360 : Everglades and Panasonic.

My internship began on the first day with a huge meeting with what felt like everyone in the Marketing team that worked in some sort of media production. I was able to sit at a long table and listen as teams within the department shared the promos they had made for shows like Wicked Tuna or the poster designs they came up with for Big Cat Week. I absolutely loved the team interaction and how everyone contributed their thoughts on the pieces.

Following that, I was lucky enough to be able to join my supervisors as a production company called 2 C Media pitched their company to us. The creative director brought us huge cupcakes and showed us clips of the types of promos and shows they had filmed and done the graphics for. He had a fun personality and talked about the work he had just done with J. Lo and Shack. I certainly felt integrated in the world of show business as he stood there talking about the sets they work on and ultimately why we should choose his company to work with. At the end, my supervisor told him that I was the new intern. The creative director looked at me and said, “Intern? This is the best internship you could ever have!” I knew he was right.

Since that first day, I am just becoming more and more comfortable at National Geographic. There are moments where I forget how to find a file or where the mail room is, but overall, I am learning more than I ever expected to learn at an internship. My supervisor often makes time to just answer the incredible amount of questions I have about how the entire system of Ad Sales and Marking works. I have become familiar with who National Geographic partners with in advertising and who they look to when they need production assistance. I have become incredibly integrated with the National Geographic brand itself. It’s about action, adventure, perseverance, survival, beauty, and most of all: exploration for years to come.

Stay tuned to hear about the promo I am working on!

Lauren Neville

Class 2015

Film and Media Arts + Environmental Studies Major