Learning the Building Blocks at Discovery

By Dean’s Intern Brianna Hall at Discovery Communications

Being the rotational intern at Discovery Communications is truly something special. Moving from the Consumer Insights and Culture Lab to Accounts Management has shown me two fundamental building blocks of how the company operates. The Accounts team manages communication between the clients (meaning the different networks such as Discovery Channel, TLC, and Animal Planet) and our world-class design team. A single day can consist of approving key art for Discovery’s hit show Gold Rush, assigning tasks for Animal Planet’s Puppy Bowl, and meeting with the TLC team to make sure all social media posts are impeccable. This is detail oriented work that requires strong organizational and interpersonal skills. I personally have started managing some Download to Own Graphics (DLTO’s). These are the graphics you see whenever you download a show off of Amazon, iTunes, etc. We need new DLTO’s for every season of a show, so requests are constantly coming in and I’m learning how to delegate tasks to designers, communicate feedback from clients, and send out finished products through the many steps of approval. Working in an agency setting is exciting, busy, and vibrating with creativity, and I’m loving every moment of it.