Making an Impact at NBC4

By Dean’s Intern Cordilia James at NBC4

Cordilia JamesBeing a digital intern at NBC Washington has been such a phenomenal experience. Working in a converged newsroom has given me the opportunity to shadow news anchors, investigative journalists, reporters and more in addition to working alongside incredible editors on the digital team every day.

My favorite part of my internship so far is pitching stories to my editors and seeing the impact it has on the community. Recently, I pitched a story about the DC Council, which was considering a bill that would limit street performers from using amplifiers at the time. After watching the bill’s hearing and carefully reviewing legal documents with my supervisor, I wrote a story that was the first in the area to report on the issue. My story ended up reaching over 88,500 people online and was one of the top 5 stories posted to Facebook in the D.C. market that day. One of the on-air reporters even made a package based on my story that aired the following Monday. Seeing how much my work impacts people across platforms via NBC Washington is such a rewarding experience that encourages me to tell more stories that amplify voices that aren’t being heard.