On the Job Learning at Voice of America

By Dean’s Intern Sarah Joyner at Voice of America

Sarah JoynerTypically, a day at Voice of America is spent researching upcoming projects. Right now, as we are preparing to film a docu-series about press freedom in Turkey, our time has revolved around finding potential interview subjects, budgeting for the upcoming trip, and figuring out how to send footage back to the office, where my job will be to file and transcribe it.

We are also currently in the process of filming a short about a Parkland survivor, whom I personally had the opportunity to meet and film at an event in DC. This project has less of a script than previous films so I have been able to help form the story as we film it by finding people to interview, picking out sound bytes, and helping our executive director figure out the path that this video should take.

When a project is in the editing phase, the other interns and I get to sit in on screenings and weigh in on editing decisions. With our last project, a profile of a Parkland parent, the video went through multiple versions and changes and it was interesting to see every iteration of the video before its final version and its release.

Overall, I love my internship and the opportunities that it has given me. I’m learning more and more about this industry and I’m excited to see where it takes me!