Learning Search Engine Optimization and Paid Advertising at BluShark Digital

By Dean’s Intern Elizabeth Jahn at BluShark Digital

Elizabeth JahnHave you ever wondered how Google search algorithms work? Since February 2021, I’ve had the amazing opportunity to learn how to market on today’s biggest search engine. As a Digital Marketing fellow at BluShark Digital, I’ve learned the principles of search engine optimization and the foundations of paid advertising.

At BluShark Digital, every day is a new adventure, but it always starts with a team huddle and an iced matcha latte by my side. A typical fellow huddle consists of reporting on the status of our tasks and projects for the day, asking clarifying questions, and seeing how everyone’s weeks are going. When the Zoom call ends, fellows begin their day, writing blogs, fixing websites, curating client reports and social media calendars, conducting client interviews, and so much more.

After a couple of months at BluShark, I was faced with exciting challenges. In an effort to support my growth and build my skills, my coworkers began sending me new research tasks and hands-on projects. These projects ranged from testing new ad copy to website audits to prepare for the latest Google search update. I even had the opportunity to model in a client photoshoot!

Today, I am now on a team of two and my days are quite different. Our huddles are similar to the typical fellow huddle, but I get the opportunity to propose new ideas and my own smaller projects. I collaborate with my manager to improve client ad campaigns and learn how to analyze data to improve SEO strategy. I’m currently learning account management, campaign optimization, and running ad tests on new marketing platforms.

Every week, I am taught something new and supported by my fellow sharks. I’m excited to continue to expand my paid, earned, and owned media skills as the semester continues. I am thankful to have been part of BluShark’s fellowship program and to continue to work with such a supportive group of people!