Hitting the Ground Running for Olympics Coverage

By Dean’s Intern Riddhi Setty at Voice of America

Riddhi SettyMy experience working with Voice of America this summer as a social media intern has been both exciting and insightful. We hit the ground running every morning in order to reach an audience half-way around the world that is in an entirely different time zone. Since my internship coincided with the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, I had the unique opportunity to be able to work on posts and content specifically tailored to the Olympics. I put together photo galleries based on Olympic opening ceremonies, competing teams, notable athletes and medal winners. In the process, I sharpened my editing skills, learning how to use mogrt files in Premiere and working with Photoshop to put together several galleries.

My favorite project that I worked on was a gallery of interesting stories of athletes around the world who have participated in the Olympics through the ages. I really enjoyed working on this gallery because it gave me the chance to both learn about and share the stories of people who are usually not highlighted but have led tremendous and interesting lives. While working from home definitely presents its challenges, the social team at VOA stays in close communication and someone is always there to lend a hand if you need it. Working with them has been an educational and wonderful experience.