Focused on a Virtual World at the Newseum

elizabethwilkinsatnewseumBy Dean’s Intern Elizabeth Wilkins at the Newseum

Interning as a Production Assistant at the Newseum this semester has been an extremely positive and rewarding experience. The Newseum’s mission statement “to promote, explain and defend free expression and the five freedoms of the First Amendment: religion, speech, press, assembly and petition,” has proven to be especially important during the recent election season and will remain essential during the incoming presidency. Being able to blend that constitutional concept with my interest in filmmaking has allowed me to further explore how media can educate and empower an audience.

My work at the Newseum has been hands on and goal-oriented. After letting my supervisors know I am interested in cinematography and editing, they have ensured I handle projects that include both shooting and post-production. My favorite project I’ve worked on was shooting and editing for virtual reality. It is great to be in an environment focused on new, innovative technology.

I have had some great experiences while working at the Newseum. Being in a workplace that has an interesting and constant workload, deadlines, and a supportive community has shown me what life could be like after AU. There are other perks to interning here, too.

I’ll never forget the day I showed up and found out Michelle Obama would be speaking live to a Facebook audience from a studio 40 feet from where I was working (in different rooms, of course). I would highly recommend interning at the Newseum to other SOC students.